Home » Technology » Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY): Half The Sales In Canada And 1/3rd In The UK Of Z10 Made By iPhone And Android Users

Research In Motion Ltd(NASDAQ:BBRY) is at the beginning of a very long haul as the struggling smartphone company is trying to make a comeback since ages. Early sales of the next-gen BB 10 smartphone appeared to be strong. However, a series of subsequent claims hinted at the fact that limited supply was to be blamed for a number of BlackBerry Z10 stock-outs in Canada and the United Kingdom.

Everyone knows that sales figure of the new Z10 till is not to be ridiculed, but reports reveal that the BB Z10 is outdoing the Samsung Galaxy S III and the iPhone 5 at a popular retailer in Canada. BGR has confirmed this news to be an early indicator of BlackBerry’s success. One-third of UK sales of the Z10 and half of the sales in Canada have been made by people coming from other platforms.

Todd Coupland of CIBC has reported a month back that 50% of pre-registration for the BlackBerry Z10 in Canada were recorded from users, who had never used BlackBerry devices before. Since interest does not necessarily translate to sales, it is not yet clear if the company will be successful in getting users of Android and iPhone devices to use Z10 after its release.

A number of top executives of BlackBerry have confirmed the news that half the sales of BlackBerry Z10 in Canada have been made by new users from other operating systems. Another key market for BlackBerry is the UK, where one-third people to have bought the phone never owned a BlackBerry before.

Early reviewers seem concerned that while the new operating system of BlackBerry has shown potential and the Z10 has proved to be an incredible attempt for a comeback, the new OS has not offered any compelling differentiation from the previous operating systems that might drive users away from the Android and iPhone smartphones.

BlackBerry has not commented on this matter.

The Ultimate Cheat Sheet to "BlackBerry Limited" (BBRY) Stock

This free Special Report reveals:

1) 97% Accurate Trading Signal For "BlackBerry Limited" (BBRY) With A 2 Year Signal History.
2) Same Trading Signal Used By Hedge Funds which Cogo News Provides You For FREE

Enter your email below for immediate access.

Your information is safe with us and will not be shared with any third party.

36 Responses to “Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY): Half The Sales In Canada And 1/3rd In The UK Of Z10 Made By iPhone And Android Users”

1. niraj sanghavi March 1, 2013

Dear Investors,

Its extremely plain and simple…If I gave you $800.00..which phone would you buy BB Z10 , Samsung Gal SIII or Iphone5.

The answer is you might wait for a
    Sam S IV or wait for a new Iphone..but you will definately not buy BB Z10…its way too expensive and it does not good apps..and believe me thats a game changer.

• miguelito March 1, 2013

dear niraj

wrong.

3 people in my department at work (out of 8 of us) waited for and bought the Z10. another person that waited bought the Galaxy SIII just now.

My sister and her husband just bought two Z10s. One to replace a BB 9700, one to replace an iphone 4S.

• well miguelito, i talked to a former BB employee and he told me that the management encourage employees to write good comments. . i dont know whether to beleive him or not, but BB did stage a boycott in front of a apple store, so maybe i do kinda believe him. are you a BB employee miguelito? im ust wondering.

• jim smith March 1, 2013

And are you a simpleton Dave? can’t even spell “believe” correctly and seems your sole purpose in life is to bash BB. Dear Dave GET A LIFE! You remind me of an old song, “You’re so vain” as you have friends connected in such a way that you can comment on every BB article no matter what as well as are in the know about all their manufacturing situations and have even told BB corporate what to do. I bet you amaze yourself! Because we dont care about your life and all its supposed BB episodes and disappointments as it seems that’s all you have. Poor Dave! Again what a loser – get a life.

• this is why we own bbry

Apple yesterday rolled out two-step verification, a security measure that promises to further shield Apple ID and iCloud accounts from being hijacked. Unfortunately, today a new exploit has been discovered that affects all customers who haven’t yet enabled the new feature. It allows anyone with your email address and date of birth to reset your password — using Apple’s own tools. We’ve been made aware of a step-by-step tutorial (which remains available as of this writing) that explains in detail how to take advantage of the vulnerability. The exploit involves pasting in a modified URL while answering the DOB security question on Apple’s iForgot page. It’s a process just about anyone could manage, and The Verge has confirmed the glaring security hole firsthand. Out of security concerns, we will not be linking to the website in question.

• well with wattpad, on my playbook i have to go to updates,and then click on updates. whereas with my ipod updates are automatic. BB why have a update feature when it can be automatic? apple seems to believe and so does android that why click unless you have to. IOS realise that, when im trying to advance to the next page in my book it knows to update. but my playbook just does not advance i had to figure it out to update story. playbook does not even say update required sheesh. and why would i buy a Z10 when i can buy a galaxy note II its a tablet and phone in one device. that is a two for one deal if you ask me. not only that on my ipod in the browser it keeps a record of where i was (webpages) but if i close the browser on the playbook everything is lost,maybe im doing something wwrong.but anyways all im saying is Ios seems simple to use and that is really what i want. im sorry but im gonna have to agree with niraj on this one

• Automatic updates on by default, LOL. Nobody in their right mind would let any corporation automatically or silently install software on their devices. Any why in the world are you comparing an iPod to a smartphone??

• I read that they sold 2 million Z10 in canada and 4 million Z10 in india I read this somewhere ??????

• I am a Indian,i know one man who owns a shop which is authorized by apple and blackberry….he said people were asking him whether there was a way to import Z10 from united arabs cause it was released there early..He imported two some Z10 but the cost was higher than MRP but the buyers didn’t even care…I am also a Z10 user,app developer and the way BB treats developers is AWESOME……..

2. I now have my new bbry Z 10 you want to buy by iphone its junk .jim

• Unlocked at a good price I’ll buy. But not at a hundred over retail.

• Sorry my mistake. I thought you were selling the Berry.

3. I have had my Z1

4. I have had my Z10 for about a month now… best phone on the market by far! Get ready for the comeback story of the decade – BB10 is unreal…

5. Kirill March 1, 2013

I love this phone very much, I hope a lot of people will try to use one and will love it too.

6. Compelling apps would change the game for BlackBerry.

7. Blackberry Rocks and it will come back, Keep watching guys !

8. Blackberry fan March 1, 2013

I HAve my Z10 and i love it .Its amazing

9. bbsucks March 1, 2013

bb sucks. bulky ugly no apps. does nothing better than other phones at that price. will get destroyed by next generation of android and iphones coming out in the next few months

• hi bbsucks, with my playbook i noticed a new tv app so when i downloaded it it was the same app i already had but icon was changed sheesh.

• jim smith March 1, 2013

Wow yet another iphone released? So soon too. What is this Iphone 83W?? Bulky? You must be a very weak person is it is to you. Seen the Galaxy? A pocket tablet! Nothing different? Flow, Encryption and separation between the personal and business which is great AND a first I might add, as well as a solid design and make.

10. Just bought Z10 last week. Smooth phone. Although lacks couple of good apps. Some of the built in features and apps like storemaker, photo editor and camera are amazing. Hardware is pretty sleek and solid unlike Samsung S3

• i noticed with the review of the camara(video) that it,if the user pans across a landscape it seems to show fps fast but in segments of about 40 frames and then seems to pause for a half a second and then next 40 or so frames and then that half a second pause and so forth. maybe it could be the way it was sent on the internet but i dont know.

• no prob here…and i have never heard of such prob by other users

11. Dominic March 1, 2013

Gave my iPhone to my wife when my Z10 arrived, it is faster and allows my business and personal life to be separated which is absolutely great. If all you want is a toy stick with the other guys, but if you want a functional business tool get the Z10

12. Christian March 1, 2013

Had my bb z10 for about 2 weeks now love it. I love how smooth and how fast it operates. Way easier to get around and navigate especially without having to push a menu button every time you want to switch apps. The hub is amazing I have all my emails tweets Facebook and text messages showing up on one page and I can at anytime switch it to just one thing if I wanted. Yeah the apps are not as good at the time but they seem to be improving and coming out with new ones everyday. I was skeptical at first but now after using it for two weeks i don’t regret getting it. Oh and I switched from the iPhone by the way. I recommend trying this phone you will not be dissappointed

13. I LOVE the BB10……love it!!!!!!!!!!!! Its perfect.

14. I think now is a great time to pick up BlackBerry Stock. I also think that in 4 weeks it will be a great time to sell BlackBerry Stock. Beyond that I have no idea. I hope they can get another product to market in 4 months. They need to.

15. Riceboy March 1, 2013

I’ve played with the Z10 and I have the playbook. Sure, playbook is not upgraded to BB10 yet, but 90% of it, except for the little gimmicks, it’s the same OS. If someone wanted just a secure phone that works like a good phone (like most people arguing for the Z10 do), they should just use a regular phone, not a smartphone. Why make a smartphone like the Z10 that besides a few useful apps, does little more? Until they build their app world, I’m afraid there’s no much NEW about them as people claim. Sure, I hope they do well as a Canadian company, but the old blackberry phones can do what the Z10 can do, minus the apps. Only if they can sell their phones cheaper, can I see more people adopting it.
    One thing that does especially annoy me are the Z10 backers. People who defend the Z10 are not very mature. I have to think that they are just teenagers or little older than teenagers. More often than not, they are just picking on tidbits: spelling errors, grammatical errors, trash-talking, etc. Who are you trying to convince? Hey, maybe you’re just trying to justify the $800 or so dollars you spent on a phone? Buyer’s remorse? Trust me, you won’t admit it. Fact is, there’s no respect for people like you. Just pity.

16. Think about it – only 75,000 apps. Taking one hour to properly evaluate each app and going at it for 24 hours per day, it would take over 8.5 years to go through them all. Not enough apps – give me a break!!

17. Daven Port March 2, 2013

I have returned my iphone 5 to fido & got my Z10. It was a little issues to transfer the data from Iphone. But worth it.

Love it. Solid platform, fast & easy. The functionality is much better than iphone but I am not sure about google. I moved from apple after or 4 years.

18. Sameer March 2, 2013

BB10 is just great, my boss is an old BB user and he got now the BB10, the Hub is amazing I am currently using iphone 4 will be getting BB10 as soon as I get out from damn contract.

19. Thank!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BB Z10 you are the best creative technology in the world,before Z10 came, i bought i phone 5 from apple store at eaton center $800 buck,now that i phone 5 i send back home, my father farmer use over there,in 2007 to 2008 who the best phone in the world bbry, at that time i phone don’t know how to make i phone, apple knew how to make ipod, iphnoe not born yet, now you try to beat bbry no fucking way, get rest of them i phone faggot,apple owe peoples millions of dollars debt, bbry don’t have that kind of debt, more technolgy comen up

20. I am noticing first hand a lot of people that is switch to a smart phone for the first time is choosing a device based on price and brand recognition. Example Consumer (1st time smart phone buyer) here in Canada choosing an Iphone 4s or G S 3 because carrier such as Rogers, Bell, Telus etc is offering the phone on a 3 yrs term for $0 to $49.99, whereas a Z10 would be 149$ on a 3 yrs term. For BB they need to determine if they are going to be targeting Market Share or gross margin. I do believe gradually BB would reduce the price.

So far I only sold 1 Z10 to Galaxy S3 user and this buyer of my Z10 was a previous bb user. But I am coming across many people who upgrade to Z10 and they like their new phone. Feedback i gathered from these early adopters are “i’m waiting for whatsapp” and “my phone works 100% better when i’m using it in a LTE area”. But am confident BB has 3rd place in the market because no one orders a Windows phone in last 3 months.

I hope this time Z10 would last long because i noticed many users of 9300, 9360, 9700, 9780 or even some 9900 are switch to galaxy or iphone due to poor performance of their device. People who owned a 9800 or 9810 have long switched for the same reason.

I amazing in near future BB would acquire many of these 1st time smart phone consumer only if BB Z10 is not a lemon. And maybe after few years secure 2nd spot if they could differentiate themselves through innovation something like BBM.

NO LIES LOL….

21. You call it BB10 or a Smartphone with a great Operating System, Z10- Blackberry is back again and believe me Thorsten Heins will change the way one perceives a smart phone.

22. I just upgraded from the Iphone to the Z10 and I am pretty impressed. I had the IPhone 4 and it was alright, but I am liking the BB10. Balance is great and I enjoy how fluid the phone is. I was the last of my friends to change over (out of 5 of us) as I was the hold out….but I have to say I am glad i did. Good Job BB